Small undetected water leaks in your home can quickly add up! To find out if you have a leak, you may want to start with your toilet.
Toilet Leak Test
- Remove the toilet tank lid.
- Place 10 ten drops of food coloring in the tank (red or green work best).
- Replace the lid.
- Do not flush the toilet for the rest of the night.
- Check the toilet bowl the next morning. If the food coloring shows up in the bowl, you have a leak that needs to be repaired.
Other Places to Look
- Check your dishwasher and clothes washer for drips or stains underneath or behind the appliances.
- Replace worn gaskets and washers on indoor and outdoor faucets.
- Check sprinkler systems for damaged sprinkler heads and leaks.