The One Water Partnership is an innovative strategy between Louisville Water and Louisville Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD). Launched in 2012, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer envisioned a collaborative approach to identifying strategic customer service, operations, and money saving efficiencies.
The organizations leverage a Comprehensive InterLocal Agreement, approved by Kentucky's Attorney General, that allows certain functions of MSD and Louisville Water to come together. Using this model, Louisville Water and MSD keep their existing governing structures, however, can share certain services.
The One Water Partnership creates millions of dollars of shared services opportunities each year, but future opportunities exist for Louisville Water and MSD in revenue growth and efficiencies through innovation initiatives such as regionalization, advanced technology and new business opportunities.
2020 One Water Initiatives
The One Water Partnership has more than 20 initiatives in the areas of engineering, finance, legal, communication, human resources, facilities, warehouse, procurement, fleet, and customer service. Here are few examples:
- Identify opportunities for Louisville Water and MSD to work together on economic development
- Identify Customer Service Opportunities to improve service levels
- Convert all remaining customers to monthly billing
- Develop processes to provide vehicle maintenance services between companies
- Develop Small Local Business program(s)
- Complete review and implementation of energy savings projects identified from Black & Veatch study for MSD
- Evaluate and develop recommendation(s) for surveying opportunities
One Water Partnership Board Members
JT Sims - OW Board Chair (Louisville MSD Board Member)
William E. Summers, IV - OW Board Vice-Chair (Board of Water Works Member)
Ellen Hesen - OW Board Member (Deputy Mayor, Louisville Metro)
Marita Willis - OW Board Member (Louisville MSD Board Member)
Dr. Sharon Kerrick - OW Board Member (Board of Water Works Chair)
One Water Advisory Council (OWAC)
The One Water Advisory Council (OWAC) meets twice a month and guides the One Water efforts. It is comprised of both Executive Leadership Team members and employees from both Louisville Water and MSD. The OWAC encourages peer to peer relationships and continuous knowledge sharing between the organizations.
One Water Partnership Contact
Shannon L. Tivitt
One Water Project Liaison Director
For more information on the partnership, see the One Water Partnership FAQs.